Blogging at Douglas Park
What is a Blog?
Why Blog in Education?
Van Dusen’s Top Ten
- Blogs provide a virtual announcement board for important messages about homework, assignments, deadlines, and more.
- Students can communicate with their teachers and other students through a blog. This is especially helpful for shy students who might not otherwise reach out.
- Students have a larger audience when they blog. If the blog is public, they are potentially writing for a global audience. This knowledge may empower them and their work.
- Blogs can be used to encourage discussion anytime — whether in or outside of class.
- Teachers can learn more about Web 2.0 tools and become more comfortable and familiar with them through the practice of writing a blog.
- Teachers can build their professional learning network through blogs by connecting with other experts and learning about new tools in their field.
- The increased transparency will build trust and rapport with parents and the community.
- Blogs can help students develop and hone literacy skills.
- Blogs allow for multimedia interaction. Students can post pictures, videos, links, and more.
- Blogs are FUN!
How to set up a Blogger Account (video)
*Important* Regina Public Schools has its own Google domain. You will need an iGo account before registering for Blogger!!!
How to set up a Kidblog (video)